Saturday, March 1, 2008

neue pie


I've been on a quest for some farm fresh dark green leafy veggies...alas the winter bounties at both the Grand Army and Union Square are reduced to apples and a few dusty shriveled potatoes. But the day wasn't totally devoid of yummy discoveries. In fact, it was more like a revelation. As I was about to enter Prospect Park to make my way to the Grand Army Plaza farmer's market, I discovered the meat pie. That's right, meat pie. Yes, icky Sweeney Todd connotations, and who can't be just a little suspicious of a food item hides the main show under layers of golden crust? But in this case, taking the plunge is so worth it. DUB Pies is my new jam. I had the Steak Mince and Cheese (good Shabbous) at the suggestion of the lovely lady working the counter. It also was clearly made with some premium ingredients...the cheese wasn't just a Kraft slapped over meet, but rather tangy white cheddar. Mmmm, the devil is in the details. Not only was it perfectly toasty, but totally the best walk-and-eat food since the invention of the kebab. Located a block away from the park, it's a blessed union of food and strolling. DUB pies, je t'aime.

PS- they happen to be the feature bar food during happy hour at my new local haunt, quarter bar (20th & 5th ave, brooklyn). it really can't get better.

No comments: